Friday 14 March 2014

Friday, March 14, 2014: David, I can not spend another night alone


This here football blog is not all about mickey-taking, occasionally a letter crosses our desk here at Smother House that reminds us of the duty that football holds in society. On the eve of the 2014 season, this letter - from Sally to her husband David - serves as a pertinent reminder that life exists beyond football, and we thought it important to share.

______________________________________

My Dearest David,

I am writing because I love you. Our married years have been some of the happiest of my life, you have been a loving husband and wonderful father, and I can not imagine my life without you. I hoped I'd never have to.





In the last 5 years, I have watched as your addiction has sucked your life away. Your usual charming and lighthearted nature has all but disappeared, and I fear that if your behaviour does not change, our marriage will not last. Every year I sit and hope that this year will be different, that you will finally realise what you are doing to yourself and prioritise your family ahead of this terrible addiction. The last month has extinguished that hope.

David, I can not spend another night alone, wondering if you're dead or alive. I can not handle another week of stress and tension, of the fights and property damage that your addiction occasions. I am tired of fighting the tears as you come home late, barely exchanging a word with your children as you move zombie-like to your study and lock yourself away for hours. The weeks are bed, but the weekends are worse - the screaming and swearing at the TV has made our home an inappropriate environment to raise children.

I can't have my children asking me what a 'f***ing Xavier Ellis' is, I can't have one more conversation about whether Dean Cox is a better ruck choice than Wil Minson or the marginal value of a multi-position player. I am in agony at the thought of the bye-rounds. I know how important coaching Dav1d's Dr4gons is to you, but you need to accept that it is just a game, and that your friends won't respect you any less if you slip from 15,000 to 18,000 this year.

David, I need you to stop playing Supercoach. I can't invite friends around anymore for fear that you've picked Scott Gumbleton again and he hurts himself. Remember that time Scott Pendlebury broke his leg? I heard on the radio and drove around Chadstone for 3 hours before I was brave enough to come home. Your addiction has affected me in any number of ways and I hope it's not too late to realise that.

I love you, and I will support you throughout this battle. But I need you to at least try, to show me and the kids that the man I married is still in their somewhere.

With love, Sally. 

We'll be following Sally and David's relationship throughout 2014. If you, or someone you know, has been affected by Supercoach addiction, please send us an email. 
____________________

In the news...
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMOTHER. PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE.

It's round one (part one), tonight it all starts with Collingwood and Freo at the Superdome. Tomorrow it's the Sydney derby, followed by Gold Coast and Richmond, while on Sunday the new Adelaide Oval plays host to Port Adelaide and Carlton.

Team news - we will miss out on seeing Boston in Red Socks, with Andrew Boston being replaced by Timmy Sumner in the Suns team for round one. Full Round one (part one) teams are here.

After a short recess, attempted Robocop creator Stephen Dank is back in the news. Dank has been served a show cause notice from ASADA. No one knows what it means but we all agree it's a 'major development'.

St. Kilda has unveiled a plan to win a flag before 2020. Read more about what we've termed the 'Melbourne Observation Wheel' Premiership Plan here.

The pluckiest dreadlocked youngster since Luke Dahlhaus, Eli Templeton, is a chance to start in round one according to the Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment