Thursday 17 July 2014

Thursday, July 17, 2014: Priding ourselves on having cool heads....


Today marks the 100th edition of the Smother, and while we were disappointed with the lack of frivolity and fanfare, we certainly didn't come away empty handed. 

Yes, although the banner we requested didn't eventuate, a Smother favourite remembered the occasion and delivered a press conference that was a gift to any satirical football writer. No, it wasn't Brendan Fevola making a come-back, James Hird having cosmetic ear surgery or Brian Taylor coming out of the closet, but it was damn close - Mick Malthouse taking the opportunity to apologise for his attitude toward the media

"My media conferences haven't been picture perfect, and I'm the first to say that" said Mick Malthouse, who was far from the first to say that, before becoming sentimental: "But it's not by design to hurt anyone. It's to finish it as quick as I can and do what I probably do best – that's to have dialogue with players and coaches. I'm probably opening up my soul a bit here. I find it very, very difficult to talk publicly, and I've been doing it for 30 years"

Of course, it would be unlike Mick not to finish with a touch of comedy:

"I pride myself on having a cool head with directives to my playing group under all circumstances"

Thanks to everyone who has read, liked or shared The Smother so far. 100 editions down, hopefully many more to come...
Like us on Facebook or subscribe here

In the news...
Dane Swan will miss up to a month after a foot injury left him unable to complete his signature turtle-wobble at an acceptable pace. "He needs to reclaim his burst speed" said Rodney Eade.

Josh Gibson is expected to return for the Hawks match with the Swans next Saturday, after recovering from a pectoral injury. The match, a reunion with his old best friend Buddy, is an exciting prospect for Gibson: "I'm really keen to get back out there" he said.

Port Midfielder Dom Cassisi has announced his retirement at the end of the season. "It's time for me to hand the baton on" said the former captain

No comments:

Post a Comment